UniGroup Sustainability Guidelines
UniGroup recognizes that in order to fully fulfill our mission, we must operate with an eye for sustainability. UniGroup strives to grow as a business while also recognizing the need to do so in a socially responsible and sustainable way. The company hopes to accomplish this by focusing on three critical areas: our people, our environment and our business success.
UniGroup is committed to:
- Reducing waste by minimizing the amount of materials sent to landfills through reuse and recycling programs at its corporate headquarters
- Complying with applicable environmental laws and regulations
- Focusing on the safety of our van operators, associates and the traveling public
- Providing guidance to improve the environmental performance of our agents, contractors and associates
UniGroup Sustainability Guidelines:
UniGroup’s sustainability efforts are endorsed and overseen by senior management of the company.
UniGroup’s green team focuses on implementing sustainable solutions and increasing environmental awareness. The team consists of volunteers who represent various departments throughout the St. Louis Office.
UniGroup dedicates resources to support sustainability efforts.
UniGroup promotes a campus environment that is smoke-free and UniGroup prohibits tobacco product usage on its premises.
UniGroup supports single stream recycling by providing recycling containers at each desk. Non-recyclable items can be disposed of in centrally-located trash cans.
The UniGrille, the company’s Fenton-based onsite cafeteria, maintains a 4-star certification in the Green Dining Alliance and is committed to:
- using no Styrofoam;
- ensuring all food containers are either recyclable or compostable; and
- supporting composting by making compost containers available to the cafeteria’s kitchen and those who dine in The UniGrille.
UniGroup encourages employees to circulate documents electronically to reduce paper and ink required to print memos and faxes. Employees are also encouraged to print two-sided and printers are set to default to two-sided in many departments.
UniGroup purchases 30 percent post-consumer recycled paper for copiers and 100 percent recycled material for paper hand towels and toilet tissue.
UniGroup recycles printer cartridges, computers and other electronic equipment.
UniGroup disposes of light bulbs in an environmentally appropriate manner.
UniGroup donates or recycles used office furniture and fixtures.
UniGroup encourages employees to use conference calls and Webinars to reduce the environmental and economic impact of business travel.
UniGroup utilizes standby mode on copiers/printers after two hours of non-use to reduce power consumption.
UniGroup has a “No Idling” policy for trucks at UniGroup.
UniGroup maintains ENERGY STAR certification though conservation projects such as:
- minimizing lighting used in the office during off hours;
- utilizing solar panels to off-set power usage;
- using energy efficient induction lighting in parking lots;
- replacing electronic ballasts with energy saving magnetic ballasts;
- employing green T-28 fluorescent in 92 percent of lighting and LED is eight percent;
- utilizing an energy management system with variable speed drives to maximize the efficiency of heating and cooling equipment;
- installed variable frequency drives on the centrifugal chillers in the HVAC system;
- automated monitoring of building systems (UL listed certified fire alarms, sprinklers in buildings and annual inspections by state and federal jurisdictions); and
- Installing new high energy efficient boilers in one of our campus buildings.
UniGroup purchases certified green cleaning materials, when available, including those provided for use by contracted janitorial services.
UniGroup purchases ENERGY STAR rated office equipment and appliances, when available.
UniGroup contracts with a green cleaning company for janitorial services and has the expectation that:
- building occupants’ and cleaning staff’s exposure to hazardous cleaning products, equipment and procedures is limited;
- HEPA filtration vacuums and microfiber cloths are used; and
- chemicals used are biodegradable and green, when available.
UniGroup handles documents designated for destruction through a triple-cut cross-shredding process that is then turned into paper pulp.
UniGroup is certified to ISO 14001 standards in support of our environmental management system.
UniGroup recognizes biodiversity as an important aspect for supporting a sustainable society. We promote activities that contribute to biodiversity on our corporate campus.
UniGroup’s vision is to be the first choice for global moving, relocation and logistics services for residential and corporate customers, providing superior service to every customer, every time, creating Customers for Life.